Our commitment to privacy:
What is personal information? Personal information is any information about an identifiable individual.
DT is responsible for personal information under its control. DT reviews training and communication with our employees about the importance of privacy and works toward implementing security procedures that reasonably protect the personal information you provide to us.
Children: If you are under the age of 18, be sure to obtain your parent or guardian’s permission before you send any personal information to us, or anyone else. We encourage parents to get involved with their children’s online usage and to be aware of the activities in which they are participating.
What personal information do we collect, and why?
- We collect personal contact information (such as your name, address, email address and telephone numbers) if you: sign up for a newsletter; sign up to receive electronic messages including by email or SMS; register on an online forum, website, or application, or to attend a paid event; participate in a research survey; purchase any product or service from DT or its agents; or provide it to us when you attend a trade or consumer show. This information is used to fulfill your request for information, products or services, to provide targeted advertising, and to respond to your inquiries.
- If you enter a contest or other promotion, we use your personal contact information to administer the contest or promotion including contacting, announcing and promoting prizewinners. In addition, sometimes our contest rules provide that we may contact contest entrants with promotions and product information. Those rules will also include a way for you to indicate to us that you do not want to be contacted for this purpose. Some contests may also involve co-sponsors, who have their own privacy practices. In these cases, the contest rules and/or entry forms will indicate that your personal information is being shared with these co-sponsors and will provide you with the ability to opt-out from receiving promotions and product information from them.
- We may collect demographic information, as well as purchase history and a list of promotions offered to you, in order to gain a better understanding of your interests so that we may develop better products and services, and to determine your eligibility for other products and services.
- We may also use demographic, personal contact and history information to contact you about changes, enhancements or other notices related to products or services you requested from us and which DT provides. In addition, we may use this information to send you offers or information from us, our affiliates and from selected sponsors or advertisers (“Marketing Offers”). If you do not wish to receive Marketing Offers, you may opt-out at any time by following the opt-out procedure below.
- We may tape or monitor your telephone calls with our customer service representatives for quality assurance purposes.
- We collect your credit card information if required for the purpose of fulfilling your request.
- If you choose to opt-out of any use of your personal information in accordance with our opt-out policy, we will keep your contact information on a list so that your request can be honoured. If you provide a complaint, we will collect your contact information and the nature of your complaint, for the purpose of investigating your concerns and responding to you.
- We may also use or collect additional information from clients, such as financial information (for example, banking details and credit history) to assess credit risk, and other relevant information to help us evaluate your request.
- If you are concerned about cookies, it is possible to turn them off in your web browser preferences. The following link has useful information about how to opt out of cookies that are placed by companies who are members of the network NAI (Network Advertising Initiative) Opt-Out. However, please be aware that by disabling cookies, you may not be able to use all portions of our websites, particularly pages requiring registration. • We may place advertising or other links on our websites that originate from outside advertisers. If you view these ads, the advertisers may assign a cookie. DT does not control these cookies, nor is it responsible for any marketing or other use of your information by these advertisers.
- Our websites may use other technologies to better tailor and manage advertising on those sites. These technologies may be in use on a number of pages across web sites. When you access these pages, a non-identifiable notice of that visit is generated which may be processed by us or by our suppliers. These Web beacons usually work in conjunction with cookies. If you don’t want your cookie information to be associated with your visits to these pages, you can set your browser to turn off cookies. If you turn off cookies, Web beacon and other technologies will still detect visits to these pages, but the notices they generate cannot be associated with other non-identifiable cookie information and are disregarded.
- We use IP (internet protocol) addresses, to gather demographic and statistical information about our users, for systems administration and to diagnose problems with our servers, and to administer our websites. We may also use IP addresses to display or allow our third party advertising providers to display more targeted advertising and content.
- We may, from time to time, track and analyze anonymous usage and browsing patterns of visitors to our websites to provide more targeted advertising opportunities and to help users see advertising that is most likely to interest them. • We generally use your personal information for the purposes of : managing, administering, collecting or otherwise enforcing your accounts; maintaining business records for reasonable periods of time and generally managing and administering our business; and meeting all relevant Canadian and international regulatory, legal, insurance, audit, security and processing requirements.
- Occasionally, we may ask our clients to complete market research surveys. If you choose to participate in these surveys and provide your personal information for that purpose, your information will be aggregated as part of the survey results and shared in a manner that does not identify you.
Who does DT disclose personal information to, and why?
DT may disclose your personal information under the following circumstances:
- To provide you with Marketing Offers, DT may disclose your personal contact information to affiliates and selected sponsors and advertisers. If you do not wish to receive Marketing Offers, you may opt-out at any time by following the opt-out procedure below.
Consent and opt-out policy.
In general, DT seeks consent to use your personal information in accordance with our opt-out policy. Except as set out in this section, DT obtains your express opt-in consent to use or disclose sensitive personal information.
If you do not wish to receive Marketing Offers, you may opt-out at any time by doing any of the following:
- follow the instructions at the bottom of any email Marketing Offer you receive.
- inform your telemarketer at the time you are called with a Marketing Offer.
- call Customer Service at (519) 342-3177 and request that your personal information not be used for Marketing Offers.
- email Customer Service at email@example.com and request that your personal information not be used for Marketing Offers.
It may take 2-4 weeks to fully process your opt-out request.
Safeguards: DT has technical, contractual, administrative and physical security measures to protect your personal information in a manner that is reasonable and appropriate to the nature of the personal information you provide to DT.
Please be aware that email is not a secure medium, and any personal information you send to us by email could be intercepted. If your communication is very sensitive, or includes information such as your credit card number, you should not send it electronically unless the email is encrypted or your browser indicates that the access to our website is secure. Materials posted to online forums or comment sites are public, not secure and may be viewed by anyone. Any personal information you post may be collected and used by anyone and may result in unsolicited messages from other internet users. DT is not responsible for personal information you choose to post or submit in any online forum on any of its websites.
How to access and correct your personal information. You may call Customer Service at (519) 342-3177 and we will make the changes upon receipt of appropriate evidence.
We will give you access to the information we retain about you within a reasonable time, upon written request, satisfactory identification and proof of entitlement. In some cases, we may not provide access to personal information in our possession or control. If we deny your request, we will advise you in writing of the reason for the refusal and you may challenge our decision.